First of all... I am definitely not a runner! I have tried to get the sort of "running high" that others I know get but I just can't! Running is just always a painful and miserable experience for me. I have researched other workout techniques and I will share with you what I have planned for exercise on my mission.
At the very bottom of the post I have links to some cheap exercise capris that are compatible with missionary clothing guidelines. So.. skip this first part if you just want to take a look at those!
I have heard that there are yoga classes in the mornings at the MTC. I am really looking forward to utilizing those!
Here is a link to an article with a lot of different 20 minute workouts you can do with resistance bands. (And they are printable... perfect!)
I am so excited about what I have discovered with my research! I just wanted to quickly share it with you.
At the very bottom of the post I have links to some cheap exercise capris that are compatible with missionary clothing guidelines. So.. skip this first part if you just want to take a look at those!
Exercise Methods
1. Yoga! - I took a yoga class during college last year and I loved it so much! I always just feel so, so good after I do a yoga workout. Yoga sequences build muscle, tone & stretch your body and they are a really great self-massage! I have had back problems for a long time and yoga really helps me to elongate and relax the tense muscles in my back.
I have heard that there are yoga classes in the mornings at the MTC. I am really looking forward to utilizing those!
Now.. for while I'm in the mission field.. I have discovered a genius invention that is perfect for the scenario! I purchased a deck of yoga cards. This is the deck I bought:
The deck has a few cards to choose from for your beginning breath sequence, lots of cards with various poses, and then a few meditations to end your sequence with. You can simply line up the cards in front of your yoga mat to create your very own sequence!
The cards in this deck are very basic, very beginner. But, if you are more of an intermediate/expert you can easily incorporate the harder versions of each of the poses into your sequence. I have tested the cards out and they have worked so well for me! I was planning on just trying to memorize a few sequences to do but this is so much better. On the back of each card are detailed written instructions on how to do each pose and on the other side there is a picture. It is almost just as good as a teacher calling out the technique during a class!
I am planning on taking a small yoga mat with me on my mission. It does take up a lot of room.. but it is a sacrifice I'm willing to make. :)
2. Jump Rope! - I was at the grocery store today and I came across some jump ropes specifically designed for adult exercise. Before finding them in the store, I hadn't even thought of using jump rope as a form of exercise on my mission. I remember having so much fun with it in Elementary! Jumping rope just seems so much more enjoyable in comparison to running. :) (for me anyways..)
Jumping rope works practically all of the muscles in your body and you can burn lots of calories in a short amount of time. (Perfect for a quick workout each morning while in the mission field!) As long as the ceiling is tall enough in my apartments, jumping rope will be a perfect way to get some cardio into my daily exercise routine. It seems like a great alternative to running!
I tested out my new jump rope today and it is so hard to do! I probably only jumped constantly for maybe a minute at once. I am excited to build up my stamina before I leave on my mission.
Before you start jumping rope, make sure you read up on some basic tips for beginners. Here is the article I read...
The small jump rope I purchased will fit easily into my suitcase. And.. it was only 4.00$! Here is the jump rope I bought. (I found it at Smith's Marketplace)
3. Resistance Bands! - I am a ballerina and I have mostly used my stretch band throughout the years to strengthen my feet and ankles for pointe shoe work. Resistance bands can also be utilized for muscle building in the arms, legs, and probably everywhere else. (You will need to research them more.. because I haven't!) They can also help you stretch your legs, arms and back.
Here is a link to an article with a lot of different 20 minute workouts you can do with resistance bands. (And they are printable... perfect!)
They are very small & compact and will not take up any space in my suitcase so I am planning on bringing mine!
The band that I have is a lot like these..
You can get this type as well! It has handles on the band.
Music
I love listening to music while I exercise. I purchased an iPod Shuffle (no radio or video capabilities). I am planning on loading all the music I possibly can onto it and then using it throughout my mission. You can purchase the newest model of an iPod Shuffle for about 50$. They come in lots of fun colors too!
We are not allowed to listen to music with earbuds. So, I purchased a small (really it's TINY) boombox speaker. They also come in lots of different colors. I have tested it out and the sound is GREAT! It gets so loud. And.. it is so compact! You just simply attach your music device to the little cord at the bottom of the speaker.
Exercise Clothing
Now.. for workout clothes! I found a few loose-fitting sweat pants that go right past my knee. I found some from SAMs Club, Walmart, and TJ Maxx. They are also very comfy! Just look around and you will find some that aren't too tight.
I am so excited about what I have discovered with my research! I just wanted to quickly share it with you.
xoxo
Christine











No comments:
Post a Comment