Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Missionary Preparation

First of all.. that's me! This is from my profile on the Missionary Portal website. Can you believe it? Only 63 days left until I leave to teach the gospel in Portugal!

These past few weeks I have really started to prepare for my mission. I turned in my FBI Clearance request around May 30th and I just need to do a few more things so I can get my visa for Portugal. I am trying to be very organized about it all. Every morning I wake up, get ready, then go on to the missionary portal site. Here are some of the things I have been doing to prepare:

1. Study my Book of Mormon - I have been trying to read it through the eyes of my future investigators. It is interesting trying to understand it from the point of view they will have. I am reading it thoroughly so I can better teach its contents.



2. Study Preach My Gospel (especially Chapter 3) - I haven't done this as much as I should. I have gone through the first few chapters but I haven't really studied Chapter 3 very much yet. This is the next thing I need to do. I have heard that in the MTC you are always studying Chapter 3 and so it will be very beneficial to study it hard in English first so I will have an easier time with the Portuguese version in the MTC.

3. Complete the missionary.lds.org checklist - I really like the fact that the church has given us so many great resources to prepare for our missions. The Missionary Portal is one of them! The checklist of things we need to complete before we leave has been very helpful for me. I have especially liked watching "The District." It shows you a very realistic portrayal of missionary work.

4. Study Portuguese - As I mentioned in my prior post, I have been using Duolingo to study Portuguese. Slight problem with Duolingo, however, it only teaches the Brazilian version of Portuguese. The Brazilian and European forms of the language are very similar. But, they do have some differences. I have started to use Byki for European Portuguese as well. It's not as fun as Duolingo, but it helps me memorize different words and phrases. Here is a link: http://www.byki.com/. The Byki Express version is free. That is what I have downloaded so far. If I really like the program I might upgrade.

5. "Do Not Attempt in Heels" - My grandma gave me this really neat book full of stories from past Sister Missionaries. It is really great! I love reading all of their stories. The book was written right after the age change for missionaries was announced. I definitely recommend this book to all sisters preparing for their missions.

6. Exercise - This past year I have found myself quite out of shape! I have started to run 2 miles each day on my treadmill. I also do a little bit of yoga and a few other supplemental exercises each day. I want to be in shape and ready to walk, walk, walk through the cobblestone streets of Portugal. I am also getting in the habit of working out because I want to keep that habit through my mission and workout every morning. I will be eating lots of pastries in Portugal; I will need to workout if I want to keep my figure. :)

Well, there you have it! That pretty much details my daily routine. I hope it can be beneficial for any future missionaries who happen to come along my blog.

xoxo
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment