Thursday, May 22, 2014

Learning a New Language!

One of the things I am nervous for as the time draws nearer for me to leave is learning the Portuguese. Spanish and Portuguese are very similar. However.. I didn't even take Spanish in High School. I took French! So I know absolutely nothing about how to speak and preach in Portuguese.

For all my fellow sister missionaries out there I will share a program I have been using to learn Portuguese (and calm my nerves). It is called Duolingo. It is really great! It makes learning the language fun - like a game!



Duolingo currently offers lessons in learning French, Spanish, German, Italian, and Portuguese :). They are working on more languages to add as well! 

It has helped me so much. It has given me a foundation for learning a whole new language to teach the gospel in! Just thought I would share it with all of you.

I also just found this website that is made specifically for LDS missionaries. It is called My Mission Language. You just login to your LDS account and then choose your language and it gives you a whole checklist of pre-MTC training!

Link to My Missionary Language

My missionary language is very helpful because it gives you gospel related words and their pronunciations. So far, I have started to learn how to pray in Portuguese and it has been very helpful.

Another great language learning (free) program is Byki. Since Duolingo only has Brazilian Portuguese (not European Portuguese) Byki has been very helpful for me. Byki also has a mobile app that's free! It's called "Byki Mobile." For 7.99$ you can get TONS of flashcard sets for the language you choose! 


xoxo
Christine 


No comments:

Post a Comment