Olá Familia e Amigos! October 20, 2014
This week was amazing! Tania was baptized yesterday. It was incredible - I could´t stop smiling the whole time! Sister Cardoso and I planned the whole program and it went really well! We bought the refreshments and asked Aguida from the Branch to make a bolo (cake). Lots of crianças (children) came. It was cute. Sister Cardoso says that the kids always come if there is food haha. The whole process of being a missionary is so rewarding. I was able to see Tania´s testimony grow. And now her son Liandro will grow up in the Church and be baptized when he turns 8! It is so exciting. I am so happy for them. :)
This week we witnessed lots of little miracles. We met with a member F--- day to go eat lunch at her house and she saw an old friend of hers, J--, on the street. We started talking to him and we taught him a lesson at F---´s house. He said that missionaries talked to him on the street awhile back. He already knew about Joseph Smith and the first vision! We gave him the baptismal invite at the end of the lesson and he agreed to prepare for baptism in the next few weeks, but he was worried because he doesn´t know how to read and can´t read the Book of Mormon. Well... what do you know! We just so happened to have a nice set of Book of Mormon CDs. We had originally got them for M---- but she randomly decided to stop all contact with us. Now we had someone to give the CDs to! We were so excited. The Lord always provides!
We scheduled an appointment for the next day at F----´s house. But, he didn´t show up. And F---- couldn´t find his phone number that he scribbled for her on a little scrap piece of paper. But, all hope was not lost! When we were walking home for the night guess who we saw?!.. J---! He had just bought some groceries. We talked to him and gave him the CDs. The Lord´s hand was in that encounter. That´s for sure! After we left him and got on the bus and I said, ´´Nos não lembramos obter o number dele!´´ We STILL didn´t have his phone number. Sure enough, he didn´t show up for our appointment at F---´s the next day. She was still frantically searching for the scrap paper with no luck. We were a little discouraged but still kept the faith! Later that night F--- called us and said SHE FOUND HIS NUMBER. It turns out that poor J--- had a health problem and was in the hospital that night which is why he couldn´t go to our teaching appointment. The next day J--- went with F--- to our Stake Conference. We introduced him to President Fluckiger (our mission president) and he told him that he was going to be baptized next week! Hopefully everything works out with J---. :)
Everyone fed us so much this week. We ate lots of Cape Verdian recipes and lots and LOTS of rice. They eat rice with every meal! Usually just regular white rice. But it´s really good. I love it all! Yum. It it so interesting being in such a touristy area. There are always tourists everywhere! I love planning vacations and I always wonder which restaurants I would go to and which museums.. etc.. if I was on vacation here. I absolutely ADORE Lapa. I wish I could stay here my whole mission!
Love,
Sister Anderson
Tania, Liandro Irmã Isabel and Bispo Sá
A package from home - thanks mom!
One of our delightful pastries. This was a pastry cookie thing. Most nights we get one as we are walking back to the apartment!
Face mask.... a little pamper time haha.
Look mom.. I can cook! ;) Thanks for the package. :) Sister Cardoso loved the Mac N Cheese. She had never had it before haha
Well.... look who it is!!! in Lisbon!!
Jack!
Like our weekly planning page? Is this what yours looks like, Elder conrad? hahaah
My bed!
Selfieeeeee
The food that we prepared. Isn't it a cute little set up for the baptism!
Tania and Liandro!
Tania and Bispo Sá who baptized her! He is such a nice man. He helps us teach lessons a lot!
Lila pastery that we always walk past. Pastelaria means pastry shop.
Look Closely!
Pretty flowers that I see everywhere.
The castle house that me and sister Cardoso want to live in someday. haha
This guy is always playing a saxophone on top of the building! Sister Cardoso wants us to convert him so she can marry him - haha. He is just randomly playing the saxophone up there some days! You can hear the music all down the street!! I LOVE LISBOA.
Look for the saxophone guy at the top. haha
Beautiful walk along the ocean to get to Rossio (my favorite place).
This cool mirror we found. You can see the ocean as you walk!
Close up through the mirror.
palm trees
Gelado......... mmmmmmmmm.. I got pistacchio and chocolate. You would love it here dad and mom - and everyone! I cant wait to show it to you someday.
For size!
This is at the end of rossio.
Beautiful!
Rossio.
I found scuttle for cheech (Rachel)!!! haha :)
More awesome pictures!----and I love looking for 'jack'! Darling idea, 'big sister'! :) I'm thrilled for Tania and her little son. Had Sis. Cardosa been working with her long, before you joined the team, Christine? The Bishop looks like a very kind and caring man. I loved all the 'filled in lines' on your weekly planner. Way to go! Beautiful views of the ocean, no wonder you never want to leave! xoxoxo g. marcia/g. dan :) :)
ReplyDelete